Thread: Do people still wear real fur coats in major US cities like nyc and chicago?

Look at me I got 100+ posts deepwater's Avatar

Default Do people still wear real fur coats in major US cities like nyc and chicago?

I'm sure a few do to the theater, philharmonic, church and other such formal occasions. And there's surely a lot of faux fur/ fur trims from what I gathered, but im wondering how common it is to see a woman particularly under 60 in say, a full length mink or the like. The last time i visited nyc in the winter was in 2003 (march) and jan(2001) and was in awe of how many beautiful furs i saw on the subway as well as on the streets. I get the impression it's not like this as much anymore, perhaps due to the economy, trends(some think real fur is matronly or tacky) animal rights influence,etc. However like i said i have not been to nyc in winter for what feels like ages ago so im interested to know the fur trends of those who have been recently or live there, or live in another cosmopolitan city!
    Last edited by deepwater; January 1st, 2012 at 10:05 PM.

Default Re: Do people still wear real fur coats in major US cities like nyc and chicago?

Well, Oslo can't be compared to New York, obviously, but as a fairly large city with (usually) cold winters, you are sure to see plenty of fur. You are partly right in assuming that long mink coats are for adult women, but here you can see women from 40 and up who wear long minks. Younger women tend to wear slightly shorter furs or even jackets. I think the main reason for this is money, not that it's matronly or tacky. It's as simple as adult established people can afford long furs, while younger women are still struggling with mortgages, kids might still live at home, etc... If you gave a younger woman/girl a nice, classic fur coat, I'm sure she would wear it... Furriers are also becoming more and more accomodating towards a younger customer mass as well, and if you'll check out a furrier today, you are sure to see many sporty and more youthful furs as well. Furs that are more befitting a younger woman without sacrificing the classic, luxurious appeal of a mink coat

Default Re: Do people still wear real fur coats in major US cities like nyc and chicago?

I'm from chicago and I see plenty of fur around here during the winter time. mostly brown and black minks, but I tend to see a few men and women wearing foxes too. I own a few fox coats myself.

I was in NYC in November and I can assure you there's lots of young girls wearing real fur.. Most of them (weather was quite mild) were wearing fox vests.. And I am talking girls in their 20's-30's... Next to that I noticed that fur was sold in many stores and is definitely a fashion item these days. Girls are wearing it with pride and it seems they all love it... Just like a love to see these girls wearing fur ;-))

Getting started

Well in the middle of Canada where its normally -20 for a high, I have seen ONE fur coat all year besides my own!!! I don't understand!!! Granted its been a super warm winter and we hardly have any snow at all (maybe 1 inch) but even over the past years I rarely see any furs...

I've seen lots in NYC, and also in Philadelphia and DC. Not so many in Baltimore, but what i did see when i was there was the 'hip hop' styles.
    Global Moderator for FFG.

PLEASE follow the Forum Rules, located in the FAQ section!.

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater View Post
    I'm sure a few do to the theater, philharmonic, church and other such formal occasions. And there's surely a lot of faux fur/ fur trims from what I gathered, but im wondering how common it is to see a woman particularly under 60 in say, a full length mink or the like. The last time i visited nyc in the winter was in 2003 (march) and jan(2001) and was in awe of how many beautiful furs i saw on the subway as well as on the streets. I get the impression it's not like this as much anymore, perhaps due to the economy, trends(some think real fur is matronly or tacky) animal rights influence,etc. However like i said i have not been to nyc in winter for what feels like ages ago so im interested to know the fur trends of those who have been recently or live there, or live in another cosmopolitan city!

I was in NYC in October, and it was just starting to get cold. Already there were women (and a few men) in furs. If any city in the main 48 states is a fur-wearing city, it's NYC! Fur shops all over the place, especially around 29th St at 7th Ave. Lots of shops on the side streets of the Lower East Side are fur & leather shops as well.
    Global Moderator for FFG.

PLEASE follow the Forum Rules, located in the FAQ section!.

Look at me I got 100+ posts aster's Avatar

Long fur coats were a sign of status but that is becoming a bit historical now - a social change as much as anything; people are relatively reluctant to show off their affluence, even if filthy rich! Even so many people love fur enough to wear it about for it's own sake. It helps if it's freezing cold but that's not so common now